Sunday, March 02, 2008

Just what the doctor ordered...

First off, as a follow-up to my last post, I am feeling much better. Secondly, I apologize for the lack of posts recently. I had to travel to Mississippi for work a couple of weeks ago, and then last week was filled with all-day meetings at work. That means my evenings had to be spent working on my regular daily work at night from home. The last couple of weeks really have been pretty crappy. Thank God I have such a great husband. He has been cooking dinner in the evenings and taking care of most of the household duties since my work schedule has been so hectic.

So I figured this weekend would be another regular weekend- getting caught up on laundry, trying to get caught up on some projects at work, etc. Well, little did I know that Scot had something else in mind. And boy, was it just what the doctor ordered!

Here's the story: We went out to dinner on Friday night, and then came home to relax on the couch. I had 2 glasses of wine at dinner so I was feeling relaxed. After trying to fight the "sleepies" for 30 minutes or so, I decided to embrace it. I ended up stretching out across the couch (and Scot) and falling asleep around 9:30 while we were watching TV. I dozed in and out and assumed Scot had also fallen asleep. I was in a much-needed deep sleep when Harli let out a loud bark. I sat up, gasping for breath, as I was completely startled and disoriented. A split-second later, the doorbell rang. My heart was still racing from being woken up so abruptly, so this freaked me out even more. Not to mention that Harli was barking her fool-head off. I looked at the clock- 11:00pm. I said to Scot, "Who the hell is ringing our doorbell at 11:00 at night!?!"

Scot got up to answer the door. I figured it was probably someone at the wrong house, or a prankster, or something, so I laid back down on the couch. A few seconds later, I hear a group of people saying, "Happy early birthday, Kimmy Kay!" Still half asleep, I looked up to see my best friends standing in my living room! Heather, Sherry, and Charley had driven up from Columbia, MO to surprise me for an early birthday weekend! (My birthday's not until this Friday.) They even had birthday cake for me! I was completely shocked but excited! Turns out, Scot had been planning this surprise for me for weeks. He knows I LOVE surprises, but that I am also next to impossible to surprise. Well, mark another one down for Scot! I had NO clue!

So on Saturday night, along with our good friends from here in Peoria, we all went out for my birthday celebration evening. It was just what I needed after the past few weeks of being sick and being sick of work! We started out for dinner at a great Irish pub down on the riverfront.

Here is the group (sans me as I was the photographer.)



My best girls from back home, Heather and Sherry. It was so good to see them!





Our good friends, Rhonda and Denise. Scot has been best friends with their husbands since childhood.



One of the aforementioned childhood best friends, Mike (aka Mountain Man Mike), displaying a very rare moment of shyness.


After dinner, we headed to another bar for Karaoke. Our group got a little smaller, but we still had a blast. Here is a picture of the group posing with their glasses of Cherry Coke. :)



Not sure what to call this pose. Either "Fishy-face" or "Trying-to-look-thinner-than-you-really-are" pose.



Dennis and Heather




Sherry and her husband, Charley, displaying the fine art of "Skull face." Don't ask. It's a long story. However, this pose has become a tradition for us.




Kim and Scot taking their turn at "Skull face." Not our best effort. I look like I am in pain. By the way- thanks to Sherry for the bunny ears.




Much better with the happy faces. :)




Karaoke time!





Legends in our own minds.




The Master showing how it is really done. Charley is a great Karaoke-er. That's a word, right?



Heather, Sherry, and Charley left this morning to head back to Columbia. Although I'm exhausted and still have work and laundry left to do, I am so grateful to them and Scot for putting such effort into surprising me with such a great weekend for my birthday. It was a much needed break and distraction for me. Thanks to all that came out to help me ring in the big
3-1 (albeit a week early.) I am so blessed to have such great people in my life!

1 comment:

Missy said...

That is awesome - good job, Scot! It really DOES take a lot to pull one over on Kim! Many have tried, few have succeeded! Hope you have a wonderful 31st birthday!